The Pease Mansion, also known as Woodlawn and the former Governor’s Mansion, has undergone a period of limited maintenance while being recently managed first by the University of Texas then the State of Texas. Woodlawn is the largest of the four remaining two-story Greek Revival Mansions built in the 1850’s by Austin’s Master Builder Abner H. Cook. Jeff and Laura Sandefer, the new owners, commissioned our office to resurrect the structure that had undergone a number of additions and modifications in its first hundred years of existence. All of the Shiver’s 1950’s addition was removed, much of the foundation was rebuilt, the earlier additions were reconstructed, and the mansion was transformed into a very livable home with all new state-of-the-art MEP, reinforced foundation, swimming pool, and a tree house.
- Heritage Society Award, 2005